Monday, July 04, 2005

July 4th!!!

Well here it is again. The day to celebrate the greatest country in the world. But what are we celebrating? It seems that sense 9/11, we, that is USA, have not been that great. Not because we discovered that we where not as safe as we always thought we were, but because of our reaction to 9/11. We truely have become the tyrant that other countries have always said we were.All in the name of "Freedom & Justice".
This country seems to have been suffering from a moral decay for decades, at least all my life. As I look back in my world history books I find parallels between our decay and the fall of other great nations/states. The Roman Empire being the best and best know example. While the Roman Empire did survive the fall of Roman it was the internal decay that lead to it.
For a moment after 9/11, we become what we always should be one nation. We were not Irish American, African American, or Native American, but simply Americans. We put aside everything else to be a nation. But now we have reverted to the nation of TV watching morons we were before. Doesn't anybody realise there is a war going on. US military are suffering and dying. But we treated like a big budget movie. It leads me to worry about my country.
My main worry is that no one thinks of the consequences of there action. Because of our "Freedom" we don't think about how our action effect others and future generations. Still I know the day is coming when hard choices have to be made. Some "Freedoms" will have to be given up. Like our "Freedom" to drive gas guzzaling trucks and monster station wagons aka SUVs. Change it is the only constant in this world. I just hope we change for the better and don't enter a new dark ages.
Having said that, I do love this country and I do think it is the greatest country in the world. I love the idea and ideals of the USA.
That is truely is the beacon to the whole of the world. We might not be perfect but tell man evolves into a higher conscience, its the best we got.
Now I am going to shut up and go have a beer.
End of Rant, Happy Fuck'n Fourth of July & God Bless the USA!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, Ian. I agree completely and I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a little rant about America on the 4th (isn't it a bit blasphemous? ha ha). Hope you're enjoying your beer :)

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home