Thursday, May 23, 2013

Memphis in May Day 3

So we started off Sunday looking for a place to eat breakfast. Because we weren't paying $30 for a breakfast bar. Sadly we drove all over town looking for something and ended up at the downtown Denny's. Not exactly the local flare.
After breakfast we went back to the hotel and got ready for the day. We started out the day doing the tourist thing again. Which after a nice drive around Memphis we ended up back downtown for the nicest day weather wise.  We went to see the Gibson plant. It was pretty interesting to see how
all the guitars and other instruments are made. Plus I got to play some  awesome guitars. Really, really nice guitars. Five figures, nice guitar. So after hanging out in guitar heaven, Mary and I went across the street to the Rock n Soul museum. It was very empty and after talking to the ladies that ran the ticket booth/gift shop, we decided not to take the tour. But the ladies let me play an awesome little cigar box guitar. Which was the most fun I had playing the guitar in while. The ladies also recommended the place we eat lunch at. They gave us a list and I wish we had found A & R BBQ, but we didn't have time.

So we ended up hitting Beale Street. I have always thought of Beale Street as the little brother of Bourbon Street NOLA. Its smaller, cleaner, bit more family friendly. Got alot of street performers and interesting stores, but doesn't have that sleazy over commercialized feel.  Its just a nice street, touristy, but nice. We had BBQ again at the Blues City Cafe. It was pretty good. The waitress got pissed off at another table and gave us great service just to spit them.
So after eating we headed down to the festival site
We saw some gospel music from The Slide Brothers, some Alt-Country from Deer Tick and blues music from Gary Clark Jr.

We also caught few songs by Papa Roach (Mary was so Happy), Phoenix, and Lucero. But after three days of running around we were tired and skipped The Smashing Pumpkins and The Flaming Lips.
We hit up The Flying Saucer for some beers, food, and a challenge from my fiancee involving Hot Mustard. Had a lot of fun.
Waiting on some Music
Memphis in May Day 4

So to end our Memphis adventure, Mary and I got a good night sleep and found a great place to eat breakfast, The Blue Plate Cafe and visited the Memphis Zoo. The Zoo would have been better if it hadn't been over run with school children and raining. But Mary loves zoos and I love her. So I made the sacrifice (Zoos make me sad. All those animals caged up want to run free). We then hit up Fazoli's in Southaven and headed home. To start planning our wedding, which Mary made massive amounts of progress on in that first day.

Labels: , ,


Post a Comment

<< Home