Wednesday, September 21, 2011

R.I.P. R.E.M.

I haven't done a song of the day in a while. But this feels like a good reason and a good song to do it with.

Today R.E.M. announced they were breaking up.

Yeah, I barely cared either. R.E.M. as a band has not been "relevant" in while. Probably a decade. But there was a time, oh so long ago, that they not only were the biggest band on the planet, they were the best band on the planet. The were "alternative" before there was alternative, back when it was called "college rock"(cause only college radio stations played them). I remember rocking out to Document & Green long before mainstream culture found them with Out of Time. (At this point I do feel the need to explain, I am not cool. I just had older friends with better musical taste.) So while I feel R.E.M. would have been better served legacy wise to have done the Dec 31st, 1999 concert and then called it quiets. I thank them for the memories, the good music, and for being an example that helped kick off the "alternative" music explosion of the early 1990s.
Cause those were Rock'n years and I miss the quality of the music from that era( I'm now puttin on my old man pants).

Here is the last song I really remember from R.E.M.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home